we’ve always been a biscuit family, but we just cribbed a jalapeno-cheddar scones recipe from the talimo’s
and i’m not sure we’ll ever go back. full recipe after the jump.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick or 4 ounces) cold butter, diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/4 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, diced
- 2 small jalapeños pepper, minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter and sauté the jalapeños in it until soft, about two minutes. Place them in a small bowl with the cheddar cheese and coat them with one tablespoon of the flour.
- Combine the remaining flour with the baking powder and salt into a separate bowl. Dice the the remaining butter until the butter bits are pea sized, and mix in.
- Lightly whip two of the eggs and cream and add to the flour-butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, fold mixture until it begins to come together. Add the cheddar-jalapeño mixture to the dough and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently for less than one minute. Pat dough out to a 3/4- to 1-inch thickness and either cut into 8 triangles or the shape of your choice with a biscuit cutter.
- Make an egg wash by beating the remaining egg with a teaspoon of water. Brush the scones with egg wash and place on a parchment-lined (or well-oiled) baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.