when i was in russia working on my honors thesis — reprinted here in full for those with six hours to kill
— i fell in love with exactly one authentic Russian dish.
and this isn’t it.
the dish i loved was a side dish, some kind of mushrooms and peppers cooked in sour cream, Parmesan chesse and dill — and i’ve yet to figure out how to cook it properly.
however, i’ve gotten basically the same taste by adding dill and sour cream to a relatively standard mushroom alfredo sauce.
full recipe after the jump.
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of half & half (or milk, or heavy cream depending)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of chopped porcini mushrooms (or the like)
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped small
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of dill
- pasta of your choice
- while cooking the sauce (below) prepare pasta, of your choice and to your taste
- in a large pan, sauté the chopped mushrooms in olive oil then add the garlic — cook until translucent but not browned and the mushrooms are tender
- add half and half, sour cream and butter
- once the butter melts add the parmesan cheese, stirring until fully integrated
- add the dill
- simmer until thickened
- serve over pasta of your choice